Friday, October 31

PSF: A Halloween Love (hate) Story

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

Below is the former home of the two spiders I fear yet have grown to appreciate over the years. I now refer to them affectionately as Charlotte and Chester: two generations of big, giant, scary spiders! I had to picnik them in as they have decided to move away--or so I thought.

It's actually the slider door to my back deck. A couple of years ago a rather large spider, who had not yet been named Charlotte, decided to build a beautiful web here. I was fortunate enough to notice this web when I walked right into one morning while letting the dog out. If you have ever walked into a spider web you know exactly how tickly, sticky, and hairy it feels. At this point I was totally freaking out-yelling and screaming and doing the wiggly dance trying to get spider web off my face. Not a good way to wake up. I was so mad at the spider who did this -- I couldn't wait to get my revenge.

The next night I looked out the door just before going to bed and I noticed the spiderweb was back. I clicked on the light in time to see big, giant, hairy, black Charlotte scurry behind the light fixture. I actually contemplated lighting the web on fire, because I tend to have those instincts in me from time to time, but thought better of it and just went to bed.
The next morning I noticed several huge bugs had been caught in the web--bugs that could very well have gotten into the house while letting the dog in and out.
That's when I let her live.
Then I showed Sophie the web and she LOVED it-thus she became Charlotte and she was a wild, family pet for the rest of the season. We had an understanding--Charlotte and me--and as long as I left her web alone--she would stay outside and continue to catch icky, nasty bugs for me.

That year ended without another mishap-spider and mommy getting along just beautifully and life was good.

The next year another spider came along. I know it wasn't Charlotte because this guy was brown not black-so we assumed it was Charlotte's better half and named him Chester. We made the same agreement with Chester, figuring Charlotte was probably at home taking care of the babies (you know spiders have hundreds-right?) Life was still good-no giant bugs getting in the house, and I learned to accept --rather than hate-- another big spider.


I still get the E-B-G-B's though just typing this little story.


This year?
The web didn't come back. It had appeared that they had taken their babies and moved away. No web, no spider, and a big threat of icky bugs flying around the back porch.
It seemed a little strange that the spiders didn't come back. I still can't believe I actually wondered what happened to them.
Yeah, I wondered------at least, until I saw this spider just about a week ago.............




I was washing dishes when I looked up and saw this ENORMOUS creature looming in the window, teasing me. "Neener neener neeeeener!"
I screamed for Nate to come see and he said that I needed to get a picture of this one. It was the KING of all KING Spiders.

He moved up that night so I was able to get a good contrast picture against the white part of the window. It then occurred to me that this monster may very well be the reason poor Charlotte and Chester haven't come back.

I think this guy ate them.

Seriously. For all I know, this was Charlotte's own offspring who turned on the family and took them all out in order to conquer the backyard.

I'm not naming this one. As a matter of fact, I contemplated catching him and sending him back to the Amazon rain forest where he belongs.

I WILL NOT learn to love him. Especially when I think about the fact that when spiders have babies--um, they have hundreds!

Yeah, we'll be moving soon. And if one of these monsters makes his way into my house? I'll make sure my husband blogs about it, after I've had my heart attack. I just hope I survive.

So, once again, I HATE SPIDERS! Always have, Always will. And I really miss Charlotte and Chester. Never thought I would say that! Poor, stupid, giant, hairy spiders. UGH!

This is the GIANT bugger before I edited the picture.

And this is him, post Picnik. Can you believe this is a REAL spider. In my backyard???????? OMG!


22 comments:

Kelly said...

I hate spiders too. You are braver than I am. I would have gotten rid of Charlotte and Chester too. ;)
I will however leave praying mantis' around as they are great bug catchers and they are not quite as creepy as spiders.

tiarastantrums said...

ewww - I just sat BACK from the computer!!!!!

Killlashandra said...

You've got some serious spider situations going on over there. I'm lucky if I even see a web around here. And if I did that would thrill me because maybe there would fewer mosquitoes!

Really though, running through spider webs is icky and yucky and I don't blame you one bit for freaking out over that one. ;)

Lori of I'm no super Mom said...

SCARY!!! I HATE spiders too!

Cecily R said...

I don't usually throw out swears in comments, but holy HELL woman. That is one wicked spider...even I wouldn't be killing that one with my hand.

I'm pretty sure that sucker would send my big old husband into hysterics.

And then I would laugh. Because I am mean like that. :)

Anonymous said...

Ugh, that definitely makes me a little nauseous! I've learned to tolerate most spiders, but THAT one creeps me out!!!

Corey~living and loving said...

GREAT post for toady! really made me smile! :) thanks!
Happy Halloween!

kay said...

spiders are so good for getting rid of bad bugs i let them stay around.

sorry i'm such a bad blog reader lately. hope to improve soon!!

happy halloween!!!

Jyl @ MommyGossip said...

I have never had a problem with spiders. My boys--including my hubbie--are terrified of them and I have never gotten it. But... if I saw one of those (from your pic) close up, I don't know that I'd be so whatevs about them. Scary!

Happy Halloween!

scrappysue said...

ok - that's just freaky!!! nice photoshop work on the spidey too!

Unknown said...

But isn't that a garden orb spider? Not sure he would eat your other spiders. But then again, all spiders eat bugs, right? Hmm, he's kinda pretty. :)

Momof3 said...

Hate spiders too. They are cool looking and I love that they catch icky bugs but still eeewwwwwww! I have decided not to kill them anymore. I call my son and he catches them and takes them out of the house for me. Actually had a spider run over my bare foot once. My poor husband knows that certain scream now. He brings my son and a jar. lol

Svr said...

WOMAN! You are HILARIOUS! My kind of humor! Sorry about your encounter however! LOL, Poor thing the Spider Cannibals!

tommie said...

very appropriate Halloween scary post! I don't like spiders either, I might let them live if I think they will cut down on the bug population. But that one id just gross!

Anonymous said...

Ewww this post gave me the shivers. Yuck yuck. Yep not a big fan of spiders.

Mamalaina said...

Blah! We had one big nasty Jewel spider on the house a few years back!! Ours had an unfortinate accident with a can of Raid....tragic! ;)

Hannah said...

Ugh. Ya know that feeling you get when you're creeped out and that tingling feeling creeps up the back of your neck until you shivver? Yeah. I did that throughout your WHOLE stankin post!!

Robyn said...

I cannot stand spiders, yours lasted was longer than I would have kept them around. This past summer I pretended they were not covering my deck for my own sanity. We have hundreds of them out there at night, YUK.
Yours is huge though extra YUK.

Anonymous said...

Now this story proves your flexibility! You were so willing to change your mind about something you hated! I to have to say that I would have captured that last one and promptly let him go far far away from my yard! This definitely was a love/hate relationship kind of love story.

Mamarazzi said...

spooooky!! i hate spiders.

CC said...

Aaack! I am not kidding that I found the biggest spider I've ever seen (other than in the zoo) last weekend. In my bathtub!!!!! It was as big as my fist. No joke.

All this and I am currently waiting to check out "Charlotte's Web" from the library.... Better rethink that one.

SuperCoolMom said...

I like to let the Daddy Long Legs hang out around the front door and eat the mosquitos. When I was a girl's camp this year we had about eight of your spiderzilla's every night. I would go on a crazy spider hunt armed with only a broom. Killed most of them, but not enough for the other ladies. Two out of four ended up sleeping in the Suburban.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Bling

Songs we know by heart!