Monday, October 20

Letters have sounds?

I was unsure yesterday how to plan my week. I've decided to take a break from Montessori; it's very hard and there is definitely a reason teachers need to be trained in it. I'm back to just planning my weeks based on different themes like I did last year. SO-I figured since fall is in bloom I would make this a LEAFY TREE week and do all sorts of colorful activities including a trip to the local arboretum.
Of course there is an underlining "reading" theme that is also taking place. I'm dying to teach her to read, but I was a little stuck. You see, I want to purchase the zoo phonics kit, but the initial kit is VERY expensive, and the entire preschool kit is even more. Since I have an 'all or nothing' mentality I guess I can wait for Santa Claus to bring me this kit. In the meantime, where do you start --besides the usual reading aloud and letter recognition?
Then I saw a website about letter sounds and the light clicked.
I mentioned last night to Sophie we were going to be learning about letter sounds this week when she asked me the question, "Letters have sounds?"
Perfect! Away we go! Oh, and then I said a group of letters make words and she goes, "They do?"
Oh yeah-one step at a time.

BTW--I have been super busy doing all sorts of activities with Sophie and have the pictures to prove it. The problem with posting and keeping up with my blog is called an HSG--had one last week. If you know what that is I'm sure you'll understand and if you don't, God Bless-- I certainly hope you never have to, it's not exactly pleasant! Also, the wicked witch* inducing round of clomid has also prevented me from posting or having much contact with the outside world at all, but it seems to be subsiding for now. Here's keeping our fingers crossed.
Anyway, I have lots of catching up to do, and will be busy this week for those of you who like to stop by and check out what we are up to-I will start letting you know.

*wicked witch is putting it mildly....snapping at EVERY little thing that goes wrong and dissolving into tears when someone doesn't put the cap on the toothpaste....oh yeah...oodles of fun.....I started bawling the other day when Nate turned left across traffic too fast because our giant truck might tip over, but then again not fast enough because a car was coming and could have hit us! Now that is crazy!!!!!!! good times.

7 comments:

Cecily R said...

Have you tried computer games with Sophie that are letter and reading centered? They worked famously for Isaac and he was reading pretty well at four and way above his reading level in kindergarten.

I need to clarify this though. I say that about Isaac but Gracie tried the same games and couldn't do it. She struggles a lot even now in first grade with reading the same things he read in preschool. Her smarts are in different areas. Kids are different. They do things on their own time table.

Sorry about your witchiness. At least its festive of you!! :)

SuperCoolMom said...

We love Starfall! For a while they need help with mouse skills, but my nearly 4 is a pro now! They also have great printouts! Very fun!

Anonymous said...

Yucky HSG!!! OMG - I just got the chills.

Clomid is not pleasant either! I took a little different hormone called FHS (FSH?) but it does the same thing. Both should be called super PMS with a side of Menopause medicine. The good news is that the side effects of it pass very quickly once you stop taking it.

In case it feels like one minute your body is room temperature, and the next your blood is seriously boiling and you are sweating uncontrollably - that's the clomid too. No need to panic -you are not actually on fire, tho it feels like you are - it's the clomid. Just stand in front of the freezer for a minute. Or better yet - get in the freezer because man they don't call them hot flashes for nothing!

Oh - and you may want to avoid cheese. Stupid creamy yuckiness!! Actually, I can't remember which medicine caused the cheese aversion, but eeeeeeeewwwwwwww. Chills again.

My fingers and toes are crossed that you are round one and success. Ew, cheese is so gross!

Wendy said...

Sounds like your little one is going to catch on fast! There are so many neat ideas out on the internet that are free, and besides talking about it and playing around with letter sounds from stuff around the house works just as well. Like the Little House on the Prairie Days!! Okay Ma, get started!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I like Zoo Phonics! I also liked Jolly Phonics, which I learned about when I worked in a special ed school. I tried doing Jolly Phonics with Little Bear, but I too couldn't afford the whole kit, and had just rented the teacher's manual from the library, and it just wasn't the same.

Anonymous said...

Oops wrong website again! I keep putting "PAste" and forgetting what I copied!

tommie said...

Mine both love Starfall.com

Zoophonics brought back memories. The school I taught at in Alaska used it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Bling

Songs we know by heart!