Thursday, October 23

PSF: Conquering a Fear and a Couple of Foxes

A couple of weeks ago Sophie and I went to a scarecrow festival -- one of our final hoorahs of the carnival circuit. This one happens to be one of my favorites because of the town it's in--it's adorable right along a pretty river. Sophie loves anywhere that has carnival rides and cotton candy.

But this story isn't about the festival.

It's about a fear.

A fear of heights.

An irrational-unexplainable fear of heights.




When I was a kid I LOVED climbing things: trees, jungle gyms, and every chance I got I loved to crawl out a window and play on a roof.

I have no idea when or even why that changed. But will you look at the size of this bridge?

I was terrified. But we had to cross it to get back to the car-OR walk back the way we came which would take WAY too long--we were already running late. Sophie was cranky but I think she sensed my anxiety about getting across this thing because she offered to carry the kettle corn.

Um, yeah. Show off. She's having so much fun sipping her lemonade.

Notice how exactly in the dead center of the bridge she is standing?

Yeah, well that's because she was busy trying to figure out why I was standing directly in the middle of the bridge.




Sophie: Mommy, what exactly is down there anyway?
Me: Whatever. (sigh-I was a little more than perturbed at her acrobat abilities on the middle of a huge bridge) It's a river--that's why we need the bridge Soph. (again, you can tell how directly in the center of that thing I was standing.)
Sophie: but Mommy, you know how to swim!

My own daughter thinks I'm a big chicken.
At least we made it across--even though my palms were soaked, my heart pounding almost as hard as my head, and I felt really stupid by the time we got across. I hate that I was such a big chicken. But I did it. All the way across. It only took 10 minutes.
At least I conquered the fear. For one day anyway.

Earlier on that day...
Me: This is called the Fox River Sophie.
Sophie: Are there a lot of foxes in there?
She just loves to be the center of attention. Did I mention how many compliments she got that day for her dress? After awhile she turned to me and said, "Mommy, why do people keep looking at me?"
Me: Because you are gorgeous kiddo and people can't help but notice you.
Sophie: But they're not saying anything to you.
She misses nothing.
So, this is one invisible chicken mommy saying -- have a great weekend!

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

18 comments:

Chris said...

Kids...they're so...brutally...honest. And too innocent not to be brave.

tiarastantrums said...

Love the dress!!!

Cecily R said...

I have the same fear of heights...I think the scariest ride at any amusement park is the ferris wheel. It TERRIFIES me.

And my GOSH that kid of yours is cute!! How could you not take hundreds of pictures of her everytime you're out with her??

Mamarazzi said...

isn't she lovely?!

truly adorable and that little outfit is DARLING!!

great story tooooo!!

Weeksie50 said...

Don't you just love how honest kids are..

what great shots.. and a fab outfit.

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

You had a fun day and some great photos! She looks so pretty in that dress!

Kelly said...

from the mouths of babes!!!
I too am petrified of heights.
You take great pictures. Is it just a hobby or a possible career?

Deb said...

as a fellow fearer of heights, i congratulate you. i know what terror you must have been feeling!

and yes, that is quite a stunning black and orange dress. what a cutie!

Alex @ I'm the Mom said...

She's so precious!!! And you .. stop being a chicken mommy lol.

Robyn said...

that motorcycle photo is great, that outfit is perfect.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand that - how one day you can love something and then the next your scared to death of the same thing. I've got a few things like that. I just don't get it.

You have a beautiful little girl. I just love the outfit too. :)

SuperCoolMom said...

Her dress is DARLING and so is she! Good for you on conquering that fear! I'm also a little leery of going near the edge - of anything.

Bren said...

Her outfit is adorable! No wonder everyone was looking at her!

Way to conquer that fear!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

The dress is very festive. the bridge is cool! I love to walk across the bridge here but I fear every time that one of the twins will choose to get a little close and slip under the rail and fall into the Yellowstone below!

Unknown said...

That is an adorable dress! I'm not too fond of heights myself. Luckily, with kids, I learned we don't have to always be brave. They can accept we have some weaknesses. :)

tommie said...

That dress is adorable!! Love the shots on the bridge.

scrappysue said...

i love bridges! and how cute is her dress!?! well done you

Corey~living and loving said...

first off. Congrats on going over the bridge. :)

secondly.....I love the dress as well. did you make it? darling!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Bling

Songs we know by heart!