Wednesday, November 5

WordFul Wednesday: Bi-Partisan Donuts

I want to post a little note so that Sophie will know someday in the future exactly how she participated on yesterday's historic day.

The first order of business was voting of course, but running as on-time as I have been lately we had to postpone the festivities for a more serious venture which was the dreaded flu shot. I don't know who dreads it more, but considering I didn't want to find out, I didn't tell Sophie exactly where we were going. I just said we needed to make a quick stop at a doctor's office and then off to pick up coffee and maybe one of her favorite donuts before heading over to vote.
"Vote for what?"
"The President of the United States."
"Oh." End of that subject.
Yeah, so let's not forget she's 3 and very easily bored. Someday she'll be interested.
On to more important things--in her world anyway.
Sophie must have assumed it was my doctor we were to visit, because when we walked in to her doctor's office she goes, "What are we doing here?" Her sarcasm is reaching new heights and I have to say I'm impressed.
"Um, you'll see--hey there's a bunch of books--why don't you grab one?"
She does get distracted easily.
Once she took one step in the room however she performed the Vulcan death grip on my neck and proceeded to take out all of the hearing capabilities in my left ear with her scream.
I had to bear hug her with her legs around my tummy while the nurse stabbed her from behind in the leg! What happened to getting shots in the arm?
It was the worst 5 minutes of the day -- if for no other reason because of the amount of guilt that was quickly dumped on my shoulders when Sophie asked me questions like, "why would you do that Mommy?" and tell me things like "that really hurt Mommy." (I have to mention though that she told her Daddy later that night that it only hurt a little--HA! is what I said. yeah, I have no shame and called her out on her own bravery)
However, an extra donut was in order because she was totally brave and got through it.
When we got to the place everyone runs on I grabbed my bags a' Joe while Sophie perused the selection of sprinkled donuts.
"They have blue ones Mommy! Look, they have red too! and LOOOOOK they have ones with both on them! WOW! Mommy can I get those?"
"Absolutely Peanut--cuz you are one. brave. girl."
So I told the woman behind the counter that we would take one of each and she looks at me and says, "All three?"
Like I was going to tell her my political convictions via a donut.




Sophie on the other hand seemed to make her choice. You see, when she eats a donut it's usually just the frosting and sprinkles that she eats and then politely hands me the rest of the donut to me to eat throw away.
Yesterday she licked the frosting off as usual and when I happily grabbed the bag to throw it out I noticed that one particular donut didn't get licked. I mean at all. I LOL when I saw it!
I'm not saying which one of course, as I want to keep this blog as friendly as possible, and seeing as how she won't be able to vote for another 15 years, I'd say that maybe by that time she won't be persuaded by frosting and sprinkles. But, then again, maybe she will!



After this we finally made it to the polling place to vote where Sophie announces to the group on the way out (and I swear to God I'm not lying) "That's it? That was a lot easier than the doctor!"
Yeah--voting can be pretty painless.
I'm glad she got to see first hand just how easy it was and whether she remembers it or not, I will and it was a pretty cool memory to have when you see just how much history was made by the end of the day. (oh, and the free cup of coffee at Starbucks wasn't bad either)
Unfortunately, by the time all of the decisions, announcements, and festivities began last night BOTH of us were snoring soundly in bed and missed the whole thing. Nice. I'm sure CNN and MSNBC will oblige me all day today with recaps.


For more WordFul Wednesdays, please head over to Angie's!


12 comments:

Supercool Hotmama said...

Great post! My little guy eats only the top half of the donut, nibbling off a bit of pastry with his frosting - can't really blame him (I've been known to do it myself). What a cutie she is! Love that 3 yo sarcasm!

Lori of I'm no super Mom said...

Love the post!!!! I love the donut face pics!

Cecily R said...

Ah, Susie...you make me laugh. I think if we solved problems and made decisions with colored donuts with sprinkles, the world just might be a better place.

And don't you LOVE this sarcasm phase? I so totally bond with my kids over a little snark and sarcasm! :)

Claremont First Ward said...

Hilarious about the donuts.......poor kid having to have a flu shot! :) I had a flu shot ONCE. My arm was sore for 2 weeks. I've never had one since. :)

K said...

We enjoyed the I VOTED donut yesterday, too.
And took home another dozen besides...
Yay for democracy! :-)
Blessings!

Robyn said...

Great shot. My girl likes to lick the sugar off of donut holes.
Yay for voting.

tiarastantrums said...

oh man - I stayed up waayyy too late last night watching it all - I'm out today! At least my brain is!

Mc Allen said...

WHAT, DOUGHNUTS???? I'VE BEEN WRONGED!! I always miss out... But soph surly didnt!! Great pic's, made me smile... LA

Anonymous said...

Great messy face pictures. You're a great momma - all three! And she eats donuts just like my daughter...although I have this spit thing and I just can't eat the donut when she does that. *cringe*

Burgh Baby said...

I'm not really a fan of my donuts being red or blue and MUCH prefer brown. Chocolate for the win!

Mamarazzi said...

CUTE pics...and i was laughing throughout the story! what great kiddo!

Unknown said...

Too cute! And the guilt about shots and the bribery of donuts, sounds extremely familiar to me. At my then four years olds check up (when I said absolutely he wasn't getting a shot, and then yep he got one) I introduced him to the miracle of a donut that makes everything better. I believe it was chocolate frosted. He's been hooked ever since :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Bling

Songs we know by heart!