Tuesday, October 28

A Monday Moment



I have to thank my KUMON workbooks for this one. Yesterday, once we were up, dressed, and fed, I decided I would just let the natural thing happen-whatever Sophie wanted.

So, I asked her, "Do you want to play something or do a learning activity with me?"

How thrilled was I that she picked a learning activity? Of course, Sophie will choose the #2 option I give her about 95% of the time so I admit I'm a little manipulative. Anyway, I was planning on doing some more practice with letter sounds on Starfall, but she didn't want to be on the computer, so I grabbed the workbooks instead. It turned into a solid 2 hours of scissoring, gluing, and tracing words with pencils. Sophie was having a ball using her scissors. We were using the Let's Cut Paper workbook from Kumon and ended up doing about 6 pages!





She only ended up tracing a couple of words, and it's hard to see, but when we got to the dog she insisted on printing the letters herself instead of tracing. I was shocked when she made the perfect lowercase letters--written upside down no less--to spell the word 'dog'. She figured out that if she made a 6 and turned it over it was a little 'G'.



I was amazed--Sophie was proud--and it was the perfect home school lesson I have never planned. Whoohoo for spontaneous teaching and memorable moments!

4 comments:

Robyn said...

There's nothing like learning. I not the best at teaching, though we did go through the picture dictionary this am. You know the wheels are turning when she turns a 6 upside down.

Cecily R said...

She's brilliant!! And so are you.

Mamarazzi said...

so fun!!! what a little smartie!

Burgh Baby said...

Little Miss Smartypants is going to be ready to write her own blog in no time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Bling

Songs we know by heart!