Sunday, July 27

Sound the alarms!

Saturday early morning ~4:30am: Sophie calls out, "Mommy, I'm thirsty!" (gave her some s/f koolaid)
5:15 am-- Sophie sneezes!
5:15 am and 10 seconds-- Sophie yells "Snotters!" which is code for Mommy, wipe my nose!
5:45 am --Sophie says, "Mommy, go downstairs!"
6:30 am--Sophie cries out, "my throat hurts!" as boogies are dripping down her face. eewww. gave her some more s/f koolaid.
Mommy falls back asleep.
8:30 am--Mommy, wake up! I need to blow my nose!

Sophie has a cold. OK world, stop moving please. I said, SOPHIE HAS A COLD! Life must come to a complete stop--do not pass go, do not collect $200--just stop!

Yeah, I know I'm overly dramatic, but I can't help it. I hate it when she is anything less than 100% of her perfect self and right now she -just -doesn't -feel good. So far it's the sniffles with a tiny sore throat. Hopefully it won't get any worse. I pumped her full of liquids and freezie pops for her throat yesterday. She was all up for a picnic at the pool with Daddy, but only lasted about an hour or so. She spent the rest of the day in jammies.

I admit I am a giant wuss. One little cold and I'm contemplating the doctor. Well, we all know how wound up I am, so is anyone surprised? I'm wondering though why I immediately feel the need to find the source of this cold and blame someone or something for Sophie's current discomfort. Why can't I just automatically accept that kids get sick and it's no big deal? I think it's because I spend my life trying to keep her safe from all harm, and when she catches a germ I automatically assume I am the one to blame.

I guess this is a good lesson in how to be a little nicer to myself-not to mention those poor folks who had Sophie in their presence over the past week or so.
Kids get sick. It's no big deal.
I'm writing this so I remember.
Kids get sick. It's no big deal.

OK, so I guess our life can move on. It's just a cold anyway. We all trudge through with stuffed up noses and silly little coughs from time to time-it's not a big deal. The summer colds are the worst though-especially when the weather is so good. Oh well. Today I am going to let Sophie do whatever she feels like doing or not-eating or not-playing or not. She can watch TV or go out and play. It's just a cold after all, and with the weather as gorgeous as it is, I really don't think sunshine could possibly do anything but help an icky summer cold.

Of course, if it gets worse, well then, I really will do whatever it takes to make the world stop--and wait for my little mouse to get better. We don't want to miss a moment of life in three-year-old land. We only have about 6 months left.

(doesn't she look like 6 years old in this picture?)

5 comments:

AutoSysGene said...

I'm the same way with blaming people for sharing germs, weird, huh?

She does look 6 years old in that picture. I can't believe she's only 3!

Cecily R said...

Holy CRUMBS she looks Gracie's age in that picture!!!

I hate it when my kids are sick too. A lot of that comes because I hate not knowing how to help them. Its a hard part of being a parent!!!

And Susie, PULEEEEASE keep your sunny attitude as she gets older. It'll help. :)

Unknown said...

I always hated when the kids were sick, I always fought with myself about whether to wait or take them to the doc. I probably took them too often but there was one time I didn't go immediately and when we did go and I had to say "she's been like this a week" I decided right then I would never wait that long again, I'd rather hear that she's fine, go home - than the why didn't you bring her sooner. :)

Hope she's feeling better!

Burgh Baby said...

Kids get sick. It's no big deal.

;-)

Claremont First Ward said...

I have 5 kids and a husband that's a pharmacist and I still contemplate the doctor each time my kids get sick! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Bling

Songs we know by heart!