Friday, August 8

a Spiffy PhotoStory Friday and a confession

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

Introducing Spiffy!



Here he is sitting with Sophies' Bunny Bears #2,3 and PJ. Yeah, he's pretty old. And yeah, he's still sitting in my bed. OK, so this week I decided in the name of fairness to Sophie, I would post something as embarrassing to me as last week's post may be to her sometime in the future.
Over the last few weeks a couple of moms --actually about 4 or 5 of them --that I've talked to have all brought up the topic of 'lovies' as they are commonly called, meaning the little comforts kids tend to latch onto at a tender age and have a hard time letting go. Some people call them woobies, nukies, binkies, blankies, and so on. The big question of the day is when do you have your kids give up their lovies? How old are they and how do you do it?
Before I answer that...............................
In our house we have Binky Bunny, which I've posted about here, and we also have Spiffy.
Confession: Spiffy is mine -- not Sophie's. As a matter of fact, Sophie is not allowed to play with Spiffy. She gets to hold him from time to time and if Spiffy ever gets out of his 'spot' (under my pillow) she gives him back to me, but other than that Spiffy is all mine.
Yeah, you're reading this right. I am a grown woman of just about 35 and I still have my 'lovie.'
I can guarantee right now-Spiffy-will go with me to my grave.
Want to laugh? Want to make fun? Go ahead. I admit it's sad, pathetic, and just down right weird, but I don't care. Spiffy is my ultimate source of comfort-nothing can replace him- and no amount of self-esteem, self-confidence, or even alcohol will ever be able to relax and put me into a nice, comfy, safe, dream state like Spiffy can. Usually I fall asleep with his legs intertwined with my fingers underneath my pillow. I still sleep with my hands in a fist like a little baby. Don't know why, just do. As you can see from the first picture his legs are almost gone. I'll eventually have to put him in a little baggie to preserve his feet which will ultimately detach and then I'm sure he will move to my nightstand for the remainder of my days, but for now he still gets to sleep under my pillow. He's here to stay and has been since I was about 7 or 8 years old. See? I told you it was weird.
Now, where did he come from and why do I still have him --you ask? This is where it gets embarrassing:)
Spiffy was given to me by my sister Julie when I was little because giving up Sucker Baby was just too hard for me. Yeah, that's right. I had a doll named Sucker Baby(*see below) and I was attached to her as much as my own arm. She was my companion for life and I literally sucked on her head instead of a pacifier. Well, my mom and dad must have thought that this would create some challenges for me as I grew up, so I was forced to give up Sucker Baby. I couldn't do it. It was just too hard. I think I finally gave her up when my parents were quitting smoking or something, but I really can't remember. I must have blocked out the trauma of Sucker Baby leaving this world for good.
I do remember my sister giving me Spiffy though to hold onto during the loneliest nights immediately following my break-up with Sucker Baby. I have never let Spiffy go. I even brought him with me to my dorm room in college.
I didn't bring him on my honeymoon though--I swear. He just waited for me in the Bat Cave while Nate and I pranced around the Bahamas for a week.

This is the only picture I can find so far of Spiffy when I was younger. Pretty much from the get-go he was a 'in my room only' kind of comfort--especially since I just didn't want anyone but Julie to know that I never got over the loss of my precious Sucker Baby.

So to answer the question of the day, well, I'm pretty sure I just demonstrated a big loud NEVER! Bunny Bear is here to stay. He is as much a part of our family as anyone else and when the original is just too fragile to sleep with, #'s 2 and 3 will take over respectively. PJ is just for fun.

This is the day I got Sucker Baby.
Christmas Day 1976.

Me and Sucker Baby hanging out.

Sometime in 1978.

15 comments:

Chris said...

Wow! My question is what is (was?) Spiffy, before he arrived at this current stage? I think you'd probably be surprised at how many people are still holding on to their "lovies" (or wubbies, or...well, you get the point) -- including, perhaps, yours truly. The difference is, I don't have the courage to share that information with the rest of the world.
This was a fun story. And thank you for the kind words on my post, they were appreciated.
Hang in there Spiffy!

Anonymous said...

What a great story!

tommie said...

I always wonder if my little girl will be scarred for life if we take her bunny. She sucks her thumb and rubs its ears. Since she is going on 4, she is an orthodontist's dream!

But we do plan on taking it (it's going to bunny heaven) when she turns four in Oct.


Now I am feeling guilty!

Corey~living and loving said...

Why oh why are parents taking lovey's away? eeekkkkk.....

What a great post. I appreciate your transparency. I still sleep most nights with the afghan my great grandmother made me 27 years ago. You aren't as strange as you think. :)

oh and I MIGHT be posting about this topic. I want to....just need to find the time. I don't understand the taking of lovey's. :(

Crazymamaof6 said...

poor spiffy. wonder if you could find one in an antique shop? or ebay? you need a spare too!

i loved my blankie. it was "lost" when i was 5. i found it in highschool and re claimed it.
have i confessed that my best friend took her blakie in her back pack to highschool? or to college? OR ON HER HONEYMOON! YES and her hubby had his too! they were meant to be together.

i never took anyone's blankies away, and i had spares too. they gave them up on their own.
but i save them for them for someday if they want them again.

great confession post!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

We'll be getting rid of a paci soon here...can't be 35 with one of those. We tried a blankie, but she isn't attached to it anymore.

Andrea said...

I don't think a child should ever be forced to give up their 'buddies' (that's what my daughter started calling them when she was 1 and it's stuck). GOOD FOR YOU for hanging on to yours! :)

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

I'm with Tommie. I'm afraid of taking away our son's security blanket. OY!

Killlashandra said...

Well, I can relate I still have my favorite stuffed animal from when I was a kid. My Mom or grandmother made it for me and I named her Daisy, and she's a skunk. Heaven forbid someone take her away from me.

Therefore, W.W. can keep his blankie for as long as he likes.

And you keep hold of yours too!

Helene said...

I really enjoyed that post!!!! I can totally identify b/c I have a pillow case that I have to have with me at all times (and I brought it on my honeymoon!) It's my lovie, I admit it. So you're not alone!!!!

My older twins still have their blankies and they probably will for a very very very long time. How could I make them get rid of them when Mommy still carries her pillow case around with her everywhere? Doesn't seem fair!

Great post!!!

Cecily R said...

My kids don't have specific lovies. Want to know why? Because I am so unorganized and messy that I am afraid we'd lose the thing somewhere and disaster would most certainly come after.

Gracie and Evie both have important blankies though. VERY important. Gracie's was a quilt her aunt made (that is now in tatters but we will never throw it out), but Evie's is a nasty promo blanket Jon brought home when he was working with the bank. Ugly but she LOVES it.

Cecily R said...

P.S. I don't think you're weird or crazy. Just goofy and funny. Which is why we can be GRAND friends!!! :)

kay said...

i love that story!!

until a few years ago i slept with my teddy bear that i got for my first christmas. but i washed him. and that was that. and i can honestly tell you that i cried and cried. if i still had him, he would still sleep with me. i have a newer bear, Charlotte, that i have had since i was in high school and i still sleep with her. i don't think you should ever have to give up your lovies. caleb sleeps with a bear and he is 12. he takes him to sleep overs and everything. and of course mikey being 5 has tons of "babies". i don't ever plan on getting rid of mine or my kids. so keep on snuggling with Spiffy!

and btw i can sooo see where sophie got her smile!! you two look just alike! :)

Burgh Baby said...

Man, Spiffy has been through a lot. In about 10 years, he's going to be eligible for creepy doll status, I do believe. Not making fun, just saying that poor little guy has been around forEVER! ;-)

AutoSysGene said...

LOL! I'm with BBM, Spiffy scares me just a little bit!

I'm glad he gives you lots of comfort!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Bling

Songs we know by heart!