Tuesday, March 3

Gatorade just might save our lives...........

Let me ask you something......Have you ever put a saltine cracker in your mouth when you are deathly thirsty and just let it sit on your tongue?
I did.
Today.
And I have to say that it is fabulous!

I can't remember the last time I was in this much pain. I've broken several bones, required dozens of stitches, and even a C-section, but all of those (even the one where I got cut right in the leg on spring break and needed 27 stitches on that gusher) run a very distant second to the pain I am feeling right now.

We are calling it the Cherry Koolaid Flu.

Sophie loves her koolaid, sugar-free of course, and that is the only thing she's really been able to have since Sunday. Remember I told you how sick she got? Well, it's the only thing that she has thrown-up too.

Then at about 1AM this morning it was my turn. I too love a nice cool cup of Koolaid so yeah--uh huh.

Then my husband came up to check on me at about 5:30AM only to detour himself to the guest bathroom. He likes Cherry Koolaid too!

The three of us are one pathetic site. My poor husband learned the hard way that fizzy diet 7UP just churned up his stomach even more--and kept him occupied for quite some time. Stuck to the couch or bed, where even sitting up to watch T.V. is incredibly painful, I'm trying desperately to see the good in this.

My husband and I were trying to watch the news this morning and ended up just turning off the T.V. due to the high volume of food commercials. OMG--I can't type the F word--as a matter of fact, just thinking about anything remotely edible could send me into the other room, with waves and waves of dry heaving.
Wait, no, that's not a good thing.
SO, after the three of us spent literally 6 hours in bed this afternoon (Sophie and Nate actually slept while I just rocked back and forth)--we all decided for a change of scenery and are back down in the family room.

I talked to the nurse at Sophie's pediatrician's office and while she was incredibly sweet, comforting, and sympathetic, she did tell me this could last from anywhere to 5 to 7 days.
The sweet nurse told us to slowly sip room temp Gatorade and chew ice chips until we felt strong enough for something real like a little saltine cracker.

SO while I honestly feel like I am dying a slow painful death, I keep repeating over and over, I am healthy, I am strong, I feel great. Over and Over and Over.
I think it's working because I have actually been able to hold down a whole handful of crackers. Now we are all sipping our Gatorade--and you know something? I think once again Gatorade is proving to be the miracle drug. A long time ago my sister swore by it's medicinal powers to relieve every womanly symptom you could think of--and I think today we are experiencing first hand the miracle power of this wonder drink.

So that's a good thing.
Another good thing is that just about by the time this is over we get to spring ahead the clocks and officially start Spring! Hooray!
I refuse to retreat back into the cave that I had recently moved out of, and I have to say I am REALLY looking forward to feeling better. Really. I am strong, I am healthy, I feel great.

Holy flu! I wouldn't wish this on anyone. It's the worst feeling on the planet. I know have confirmation though that Sophie is stronger than me and my husband because she has not uttered one complaint through all of this. She is such a trooper!

Unfortunately she won't try the saltine trick. Neither will my husband. Maybe tomorrow. I have a feeling we are not going anywhere. Oh, and thanks to pre-posting I was able to finish a WordFul Wednesday that has nothing to do with our pathetic little current state of ill health.

I'll keep everyone posted on when this starts to let up though. Jeez--I still can't believe this is happening. Thank God it's still freezing outside and we are not missing anything.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh I so know the feeling! Especially about not being able to watch TV because of food commercials... Its torturous!
BTW tell your husband definitely don't drink DIET soda to ease any stomach problems... the aspartame or other sweetener just makes you sicker! Get regular gingerale... the kind that has real ginger, like from Whole Foods, if possible!!!

Robyn said...

I hope you all are feeling better soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Ah nuts! Sorry you're all sickies!! I like the purple gatoraid the best.

Cecily R said...

Oh Susie! That just STINKS! I'm so so sorry!! I wish there was something I could do to help!!

Unknown said...

Oh no! I hope you feel better soon. My son swears by his new find of ginger ale. Maybe??

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Bling

Songs we know by heart!